PhD application and submission of the dissertation
Cumulative doctoral thesis: In case you prepare a cumulative doctoral thesis, your supervisor has to submit an application for approval to the Dean. This application has to be made prior to the submission of the doctoral thesis and has to include a list of all publications, especially those of which you are the lead author. You can prepare a cumulative doctoral thesis only after the Dean has approved the respective application.
- Please make an appointment with the Dean’s Office for the submission of your doctoral thesis. The Dean’s Office will also provide you with more detailed information about the further conduct of the procedure, including oral examination.
- You have to submit eight copies of your doctoral thesis. Your doctoral thesis should be preceded by an abstract in German language, included in your thesis.
- All required documents and documents giving evidence can be found in the form Application for Admission to Doctoral Studies (pdf). Please read this form carefully in order to ensure that different documents can be issued in due time prior to the admission of your thesis.
- A list containing the suggested members of the Doctoral Examination Committee (pdf) can be submitted previously for revision; it always has to be approved by the Dean.
Please note the following: The members of the Committee have to represent different fields of physics.
- In case you have any question regarding for instance the cover sheet or layout, please address toDekanat17@lmu.de.
Note: A time limit of at least six weeks should be granted between the submission of your thesis and your oral examination, so that all deadlines can be duly met. The applicant determines the date of the doctoral examination in consultation with all members of the Examination Committee. Ideally, you notify the Dean’s Office of the date and hour of the examination upon the submission of your doctoral thesis, sofern die Promotionskommission schon vorab genehmigt wurde.
Please note the following:
The provisional notification you will receive following the oral examination does not entitle you to hold the doctoral degree; designations such as Doctor designatus (Dr. des.) or similar titles are not admissible either.
Submission of the deposit copies – Report and Certificate
Note: In accordance with the Regulations on the Awarding of a Doctoral Degree Art. 18 Sect. 1, you will be entitled to hold the doctoral degree only upon receipt of the doctoral degree certificate. To receive the doctoral certificate for the award of the title "Doctor rerum naturalium, Dr. med. rer. nat.", you must first hand over 8 printed and possibly corrected copies of your dissertation to the Publications Office of the University and publish your dissertation electronically (see https://www.ub.uni-muenchen.de/schreiben/dissertationen_habilitationen/index.html).
In accordance with the Regulations on the Awarding of a Doctoral Degree Art. 17 Sect. 1, the copies have to be submitted within one year following the delivery of the provisional notification. The certificate is issued automatically after electronic uploading and submission of the dissertation to the university library. As soon as the doctoral certificate is ready for collection at the dean's office (approx. 3-4 weeks after submission of your dissertation at the university library) you will receive a message from the dean's office by e-mail and you can pick it up at the dean's office during the usual opening hours. Only after receiving the certificate you may officially bear the title Dr. rer. nat.
- Application for Admission to the Doctoral Examination (330 KByte)
- Doctoral Examination Committee (100 KByte)